I absolutely LOVE breakfast sandwiches! Even though I am not a morning person, the smell of bacon and eggs gets my mouth drooling! This morning I was kind of craving pizza but I am not a "pizza in the morning" kind of girl. So I decided to take a twist on the basic bacon, egg and cheese morning sandwich and add an Italian flair. I call it my Capri Breakfast Sandwich. I used what I had on hand, but if I were to make this sandwich again, I would DEFINITELY use fresh Mozzarella and probably a fancier bread. But hey, you work with what you got, right? Regardless, it was delicious and definitely filled my tummy. Hope you enjoy it as well! Click here to print the recipe: Capri Breakfast Sandwich
Serving Size: 1
2 slices of bread (go fancy if you can! I only had wheat, but it was still delicious!)
2 mozzarella string cheese sticks (again, go fancy if you can! Next time I would use 2 slices of fresh mozzarella)
3-4 slices of cooked bacon
1/2 cup of fresh baby spinach
2-3 tablespoons of good marinara sauce (I added some fresh basil to my sauce when I heated it)
extra basil if desired
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) I've heard about rinsing your bacon under cold water before baking it to reduce the shrinkage. So I decided to try it today. I think it worked well!
3) After rinsing bacon, place on a paper towel and pat dry. You don't want your bacon to go in the oven when it's all wet!
4) Once bacon has been patted dry, place bacon on a foil lined baking sheet and cook in oven for approximately 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
5) While bacon is cooking, fry two eggs in a non-stick pan on the stove until done to your liking. I like mine a little runny, but I ended up folding the two eggs together, almost like when you fold an omelet, so the "runny-ness" would stay together.
6) Butter 2 slices of bread generously.
7) Your bacon should be done by now. Remove from the oven and drain on a plate lined with paper towel.
8) Once eggs are cooked to your liking, remove from stove and set aside. Place one slice of bread, butter side down on a heated pan and then add one of the mozzarella sticks (stripped into strings) across the slice of bread.
9) Top the slice of bread and cheese with your eggs.
10) Add 3-4 slices of bacon to your slice of bread, cheese and eggs.
11) Top the bacon with spinach.
12) Add a few tablespoons of marinara sauce.
13) Top the marinara sauce with the second mozzarella string cheese (stripped into strings).
14) Finally, add the second slice of buttered bread and grill the sandwich as you would a grilled cheese. Flip after about 3-4 minutes of the sandwich being on medium. Cook until bread is golden brown.
15) Serve and enjoy!Copyright © 2013 Kellicipes
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 27 g||41 %|
|Saturated Fat 10 g||48 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 419 g||140 %|
|Sodium 1646 mg||69 %|
|Potassium 483 mg||14 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 33 g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5 g||21 %|
|Sugars 14 g|
|Protein 43 g||86 %|
|Vitamin A||1 %|
|Vitamin C||14 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|