I found this recipe on the Taste of Home website and holy moly....who wouldn't want a Reuben as a casserole? It's just the two of us this Christmas Eve...well, the two dogs as well, but we decided not to make an elaborate Christmas Eve dinner, just something to fill our tummies and be merry! I might have gone a little overboard on the cheese, but you all know me...cheese makes everything better, so what the heck! I also splurged a bit by going to the local butcher to get the Corned Beef and Swiss Cheese. You can easily buy these items at your local grocery store, but I decided to go big. It's Christmas, you gotta go big! So here it is, hope you enjoy it! Print full recipe here:Reuben Casserole
2 tubes (8oz each) refrigerated crescent rolls
1lb sliced Swiss Cheese
1-1/4lb sliced deli Corned Beef
1 can or jar of Sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained (about 14-16oz)
2/3 cup Thousand Island Dressing
1 Egg White, lightly beaten
2-3 teaspoons Caraway Seeds
1) Preheat oven to 375°F
2) Pour the Sauerkraut into an strainer, rinse and let drain.
3) In a greased 13"x9" pan, place the contents of one refrigerated crescent roll. Pinch together the seams to make one long sheet.
4) Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
6) Remove baking dish from oven and lay half of the Swiss Cheese over the dough.
8) Top the layer of Corned Beef with the Sauerkraut and Thousand Island Dressing mixture. Spread evenly.
10) Put another GENEROUS layer of Swiss Cheese over the Sauerkraut and Thousand Island Dressing layer.
11) On a floured surface, lay out the second tube of the crescent dough. Pinch the seams again to make one sheet or if you have a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is one piece.
12) Lay the one piece of dough over the final layer of Cheese, pinch any corners if possible and brush the egg white over the dough. Then top with the Caraway Seeds.
14) Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 27 g||42 %|
|Saturated Fat 13 g||65 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 89 g||30 %|
|Sodium 1369 mg||57 %|
|Potassium 233 mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 11 g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2 g||7 %|
|Sugars 4 g|
|Protein 30 g||59 %|
|Vitamin A||0 %|
|Vitamin C||20 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Copyright © 2013 Kellicipes