Last night we had a barbeque, and it was AMAZING! Burgers, Hot Dogs, Corn on the cob, coleslaw and this super delicious Hash Brown Casserole! I apologize that the photo isn't the greatest, but please take my word for it, this stuff is ADDICTING! Feel free to double the recipe if you have a big crowd. This recipe fed four and looking back, I should have doubled it! To print the recipe click HASH BROWN CASSEROLE
4 tablespoons butter (additional 2-3 tablespoons if needed, see step 3)
1 pound frozen hash browns (defrosted)
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup (or cream of soup of your choice)
salt and pepper
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Chop onions.
2) In a large hot skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and add the onions. Cook the onions until they start to brown.
3) Add the defrosted hash browns and tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the garlic powder and paprika. Cook the hash brown/onion mixture until the hash browns are brown and a bit crispy. You may want to split the mixture into two skillets if your mixture is not browning. I did this and just added 2-3 tablespoons of butter to the second pan before adding half of the mixture.
4) In a large mixing bowl, add the cheese and soup, mix together. Once the hash brown/onion mixture is cooked and crispy, remove from stove and add it to the large bowl with the cheese and soup mixture. Stir until all ingredients are combined. You can add some salt and pepper now or after the casserole is cooked. It's your preference.
5) Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. You may add more shredded cheddar to the top of the casserole if you like it super cheesy...like me!
6) Remove after 30 minutes and top with sliced scallions (green onions). Let sit for about 5-10 minutes, then serve with sour cream or ketchup and ENJOY!Copyright © 2013 Kellicipes